prof. dr. Paolo Bosisio, LHD
Opera Director – Full Professor of History of Theatre in the University of Milan
- Doctor Honoris Causa in Art – University “Dunarea de Jos” – Galati – Romania
- Doctor Honoris Causa – Academia de Muzica “Gheorghe Dima” – Cluj Napoca – Romania
- 18 years as Artistic Director and General Manager in Theatres and Festivals
- 31 years as Full University Professor of Theatre’s History and Artistic and Organizational management of the structures for the live show
- 8 years as Television Director and Writer
- 9 years as Special Events Creator and Director
- more than 20 years as Opera Stage Director
- 25 scientific books – 1 D’Annunzio Award for Criticism
- 100 essays and papers published in scientific periodicals
After some non professional experiences in the theatre’s field, Paolo Bosisio met in 1968 the well-known director Fantasio Piccoli, becoming his assistant.
Thanks to Piccoli, he got to know Luchino Visconti, one of the most important italian moovie and opera directors in the world and he was employed as assistant to him.
Later he had the chance to work in several different positions with Giorgio Strehler, the most important Italian director of the XXth Century, in Dramatic and Opera Theatre
The following year he went into Italian television as assistant director to Mario Fattori and Edo Cacciari: for eight years he worked as a television director and television writer.
In 1974 he received the Perla MIFED award for the television series, Concerto a modo mio produced by TSI – Swiss Italian television (as screenwriter and director)
From 1986 he has conceived and directed numerous events of great spectacular value (conventions, launches, exhibitions, fashion shows, celebrations) for many international firms.
Among these it is worthwhile recalling his stunning recreation of the ancient Olympic Games which opened in the Selinunte archeological site in Sicily. The audience numbered around 14.000 spectators and the event was televised by 63 different television channels worldwide.
In the Ninties he focuses his activity of Director exclusively on Opera and Musical Theatre.
He is hired as a Stage Director by many theaters and festivals in Italy and abroad.
Listed below the titles of some of the operas directed by him, often in several different editions and different theatres:
- Aida, Otello, Traviata, Trovatore, Rigoletto, Un ballo in maschera, Attila by Giuseppe Verdi
- Boheme, Madama Butterfly, Tosca, Turandot by Giacomo Puccini
- L’elisir d’amore, Don Pasquale by Gaetano Donizetti
- Don Giovanni by W. A. Mozart
- Cenerentola by Gioachino Rossini
- Carmen, Les pecheurs de perles by Georges Bizet
- Cavalleria rusticana by Pietro Mascagni
- Pagliacci by Ruggiero Leoncavallo
Currently he is permanent guest stage director in Teatrul National de Opera si Opereta “Nae Leonard” – Galati – Romania
- Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini (Ivrea, Biella – Italy)
- Boheme by Giacomo Puccini (Tournée in Italy – 2012)
- Traviata by Giuseppe Verdi (Mantova, Novara – Italy; Lugano – Switzerland 2009-2013)
- Tosca by Giacomo Puccini (Ivrea, Cesena – Italy; Galati-Romania- 2009-2016)
- Don Giovanni by W.A.Mozart (Almati – Kazakistan, 2013)
- Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi (Seoul Art Center – Korea, 2014)
- Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi (Lodz, Poland, 2018)
- Carmen by Georges Bizet (Ivrea, Italy, 2013)
- Attila by Giuseppe Verdi (Torino, Italy, 2013)
- Buchenwald-Tosca by Mauro Pagano on the score by Giacomo Puccini (Genova, Italy, 2013)
- Don Pasquale by Gaetano Donizetti (Galati, Romania, 2014)
- Le pecheurs de perles by Georges Bizet (Almati – Kazakistan, 2014)
- Il Trovatore by Giuseppe Verdi (Galati, Romania, 2015)
- Cenerentola by Gioachino Rossini (Serbia, Montenegro, Galati-Romania – 2016-2017)
- Re Cervo by Angelo Inglese – Libretto di Paolo Bosisio – (European Tournèe, Italy, France, Romania – 2016)
- Un ballo in maschera di Giuseppe Verdi (Galati, Romania, 2017)
- Turandot di Giacomo Puccini (Galati, Romania, 2018)
- Les pecheurs de perles by Georges Bizet (Galati, Romania, 2022)
- Boheme by Giacomo Puccini (Galati – Romania, 2022)
Don Giovanni by W.A.Mozart (Opera Nationala Cluj Napoca – Romania – 2023)
He is a very popular actor in the Italian National Television Network.
SOME RECENT VIDEOS
Rigoletto – 2013 – Seoul Art Center – Korea
Don Giovanni – 2013 – Abai Academic Theater – Almaty – Kazakhstan
Don Pasquale – Teatrul National de opera si Opereta Nae Leonard – Galati – Romania
Les pecheurs de perles – Abai Academic Theater – Almaty – Kazakhstan
Re Cervo – Teatrul National de opera si Opereta Nae Leonard – Galati – Romania
Cenerentola – Teatrul National de Opera si Opereta “Nae Leonard” – Galati – Romania
Turandot – Teatrul National de Opera si Opereta “Nae Leonard” – Galati – Romania
II, 1: https://youtu.be/CLBof5wAZoo
II, 2: https://youtu.be/5zfvJpXTOxE
II, 3: https://youtu.be/C-YdO7UY1SQ
II, 4: https://youtu.be/DCBjPb_qyG0
II, 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyfNzjMpkPk
II, 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA9fmW4-5C8
III, 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eeH9AF8dAE
III, 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-T7U02-jEQ
III, 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhR1NF-vgWw
ARTISTIC DIRECTION OF THEATRES AND FESTIVALS
Between 1999 and 2002 he was appointed artistic director at the Teatro del Vittoriale degli Italiani, a 1.600 sits open air theatre situated in the park of an historical monument on the Garda Lake (Italy).
He is artistic director of Metropoli Ballet Festival in Milan, of Farnese Opera Festival in Piacenza and of Sforzesco Ballet Festival in Vigevano (Italy).
He is also artistic director of the Arlecchino Award promoted by the Mantua Foundation, European Capital of Performing Arts.
He is Artistic Director of the historical Giacosa Theatre in Ivrea, Villani Theatre in Biella and of a network of theatres in the Piemonte area.He is also Artistic Director of the Opera and ballet festival Palcoscenico sotto le stelle in the Piemonte area (Italy)
He is Honorary President of the International festival of Opera and Music “Nae Leonard” – Galati (Romania)
At the same time he was working at University, where since 1987 he held the Chair of History of Theatre and Performing Arts in the Arts Faculty at Milan State University.
He was also Director of the Theatre and Performing Arts Department in the same University.
As Professeur Associé he taught at the Sorbonne III in Paris and at Milan’s Catholic University he ran a course on Production and Artistic Direction of the Performing Arts.
He taught History of Theatre at the Piccolo Teatro School (part of Milan’s Piccolo Teatro), initially directed by Giorgio Strehler and then by Luca Ronconi.
In 2016 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Arts by Universitatea “Dunarea de Jos” – Galati – Romania.
MAIN SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS
He has published extensively in the field of Theatre History and Drama Studies, with a specific focus on the Eighteenth and Twentieth centuries
He published the following books:
- Popolarità e classicità nel teatro comico del Cinquecento, Milano, Principato, 1975.
- Carlo Gozzi e Goldoni – Una polemica letteraria con versi inediti e rari, Firenze, Olschki,1979.
- Carlo Gozzi, Fiabe teatrali, Testo, introduzione e commento a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Roma, Bulzoni, 1984.
- La parola e la scena. Studi sul teatro italiano tra ‘700 e ‘900, Roma, Bulzoni, 1987.
- Samuel T. Coleridge, La caduta di Robespierre, traduzione, introduzione e commento a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Torino, Einaudi, 1989.
- AA.VV., Lo spettacolo nella rivoluzione francese, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Roma, Bulzoni, 1989.
- Alessandro Manzoni, Il Conte di Carmagnola, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Torino, Einaudi, 1990.
- Tra ribellione e utopia. L’esperienza teatrale nell’Italia delle repubbliche napoleoniche, Roma, Bulzoni, 1990.
- ll teatro di Goldoni sulle scene italiane del Novecento, Milano, Electa, 1993.
- Carlo Goldoni, Memorie, testo critico, traduzione, introduzione e commento a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Milano, Mondadori, 1993.
- Teatro dell’Occidente. Elementi di storia della drammaturgia e dello spettacolo teatrale, Milano, LED, 1996 (II edizione rinnovata e ampliata in due volumi, 2006). Tradotto e pubblicato in lingua greca (ιστορία του θεάτρου, Athen, Αιγόκερως, 2006)
- Patrice Pavis, Dizionario di teatro, edizione italiana a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Bologna, Zanichelli, 1998.
- Giuseppe Patroni Griffi, Tutto il teatro, testo, introduzione e commento a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Milano, Mondadori, 1999.
- ‘Ho pensato a voi scrivendo Gigliola’. Teresa Franchini: un’attrice per d’Annunzio, Roma, Bulzoni, 2000 (Premio D’Annunzio per la saggistica 2000).
- AA.VV., Il teatro di regia alle soglie del terzo millennio, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Roma, Bulzoni, 2001.
- AA.VV., Storia della regia teatrale in Italia, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Milano, Mondadori, 2003.
- 1979-2003: Milano in scena per i 25 anni di ‘Invito a teatro’, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Milano, Bulzoni, 2004.
- Carlo Gozzi, Memorie inutili, edizione critica a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Milano, LED, 2006, 2 voll.
- Tra Goldoni e Strehler: Arlecchino e la commedia dell’arte, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Roma, Bulzoni, 2007.
- Giorgio Strehler, Autobiografia per immagini, a cura di Paolo Bosisio e Giovanni Soresi, Pisa, Titivillus, 2010.
- Paolo Bosisio, Alberto Bentoglio, Mariagabriella Cambiaghi, Il teatro drammatico nella Milano dell’Ottocento, Roma, Bulzoni, 2011.
- Carlo Gozzi, Re Cervo, edizione critica e commentata a cura di Paolo Bosisio e Valentina Garavaglia, Edizione Nazionale delle opere di Carlo Gozzi, Venezia, Marsilio, 2013
- Tra filologia e storia del teatro. Pagine sparse, Roma, Bulzoni, 2017, 2 voll.
- Quando il preside portava il grembiulino, Milano, Mondadori-Electa, 2021
- J.P.C. de Marivaux – La doppia incostanza – La finta serva – Il trionfo dell’amore, a cura di Paolo Bosisio, Imola, Cuepress (in corso di pubblicazione)
He has also published more than 100 critical essays and papers on some of the most important scientific Italian and foreign magazines.
SCIENTIFIC CONGRESSES AND LECTURES
He joined as lecturer, chairman and scientific director a huge number of scientific congresses in Italy and abroad.
He held lectures in many of the many of the most prestigious universities in the world as:
- Université Paris Sorbonne, Lyon, Avignon – France
- Harvard, New York, UCLA, Berkeley, San Francisco State University and Providence – USA
- Toronto – Canada
- Dublin – Ireland
- Glasgow – United Kingdom
- Astana – Kazakhstan
- Innsbruck – Austria
- Warshaw, Cracov, Lodz – Poland
- Galati, Cluj Napoca – Romania
- Stockolm – Sweden
- Sydney – Australia
- Bejin, Tongji and Fudan Universities Shangay – China
He held in several countries Master Classes aimed at opera singers and directors.
mob: +39 351 9079098 +66 806533830